What is Constructability?
- Constructability is a project management technique to review construction processes from start to finish during the pre-construction phase.
- It is used to identify obstacles before a project is actually built to reduce or prevent errors, delays, and cost overruns.
Who can benefit from Constructability Reviews?
- Structural Engineers
- Home Owners
What will you receive with your Constructability Review?
- Back-office consultations for our clients, working with you and your team to resolve issues.
- The Constructability Review – a graphic PDF detailing issues, clashes, omissions and specifics needed prior to building.
- The 3D structural model for clients and their customers, trades and vendors to access and study during construction.
What is the process in working with Constructability?
- Provide us with construction documents in PDF form (architectural drawings, structural engineering drawings/specs., site plan, etc. — any applicable documents/drawings)
- Provide us with engineered truss drawings, if any (floor and/or roof) and 3D DWG/DXG files obtained from truss vendor
- Provide us with any topographic data available if a site model is desired (from surveyor or engineer)
- We require a 50% deposit prior to starting your Constructability Review
- A 3D model of the proposed structure is created from the provided architectural drawings to include structural elements (beams, headers, columns, etc.) and will work with truss vendor to incorporate floor/roof trusses into the 3D model.
- The model contains scenes of the various stages of construction.
- When site models are requested, we can generate a site model based on provided existing and proposed contours
- As the model is being generated, we are reviewing the construction from the footings up to make sure all bearing walls have proper bearing, identifying clashes, errors and omissions.
- We will generate a report detailing our findings/issues — this is the “Constructability Review”, which will then be shared with you.
- We will work with your after the report has been generated to resolve issues and discuss conflicts.
- We will then issue our final invoice for the balance of the contract price agreed upon.
- 3D model and final Constructability Review report is released.
What is included in The Constructability Review?
- The Constructability Review is provided in a graphic PDF format and identifies any issues, clashes or questions that need additional clarification found while compiling our model for review
- Construction drawings are incorporated into the report with annotations, mark-ups and images relating to the issues taken directly from our 3D model generated while compiling our constructability review.
- Common findings in a Constructability Review are:
- Dimensional discrepancies between architectural drawings and engineered trusses (sheathing to sheathing vs. framing to framing dimensions)
- Bearing walls, point load and continuous loads with no bearing below
- HVAC issues such as floor truss duct chases not aligning, obstacles for supply and return ducts
- Toilets and other plumbing drains directly above trusses or specified floor systems
- Missing details for specific framing-related features
- Roofing issues not observed in 2D become obvious in the 3D model
How much does a Constructability Review cost?
The average fee for a Constructability Review is $0.50 – $1.50 per square foot.
Square Footage calculations take into account all under roof areas including covered decks/porches, finished and unfinished square footage, garages and any additional areas attached or detached that are to be included in the constructibility review.
For an outline of our pricing and to request an estimate, please visit our pricing page for additional information.